Tuesday, November 14, 2006

love of a father


The Love of a Father
My heart had been broken

I thought it never would heal


So overcome with despair I could no longer feel


My first born child had been taken from me


Held captive by demons that would not let her be



I watched in horror as she traveled this path


A gauntlet I know for I’ve felt the same wrath


I know all too well the pain of being alone


Not knowing of love or the warmth of a home



I had hoped my mistakes would save her such pain


But it didn’t you see and I had to live it again


Only this time it was different as it wasn’t me


For this was my child and I could not make her see



I feared for her life and I feared for her soul


And I desperately hoped she would climb out of that hole


I lay awake in bed praying as best as I knew how


That God would help her, God please help her now



As hours turned to days and days into weeks


My fears and my hopes rose and fell like twin peaks


Then one day a call came from a voice I knew not


They told me my daughter was brought in on a cot



They told me she was hopeless and she had no one to call


That she had burned all her bridges and it was now time to fall


But this angel from God she knew better you see


Because she picked up the phone and she dialed me



When I walked in the door I could not believe my own eyes


Because I saw the shell of a person with no will to try


I told her I loved her and that the nightmare could end


All she need to do is give me her hand



For the love of a father is simple and true


And sometimes all it takes is to start anew


So know that you are never and I mean never alone


And that two lives were saved when I picked up the phone



Never question your right to be happy in life


For it can be achieved despite all the strife


Look to your children and their eyes full of hope


If you look long enough you won’t ever need dope.

No comments: